Marisa 300 boost

My Tax Licenses

I am very proud of my tax licenses and the expert knowledge and experience they signify. 

They are very important to you too. Here’s why:

I am an IRS Enrolled Agent
License # 1174749

Enrolled Agents (EAs) are America’s Tax Experts!

  • EAs are the only tax professionals authorized by the Federal Government (Internal Revenue Service) to represent clients. Unlike CPAs or Attorneys, EAs always specialize in taxation. Because EAs are under the jurisdiction of  the Federal Government, not the individual States, they can practice anywhere in the United States.
  • An EA can represent you before the IRS on any tax matter, including an audit or collection action on any tax return. Other preparers can only represent you for audits of returns they actually prepared.
  • Even the largest tax firms use a disclaimer such as 'we can not act as your legal representative'. Cit-What is an Enrolled Agent?

It’s not easy to become an EA:

  • Enrolled Agents must pass a difficult two-day examination given annually by the IRS. Less than 1/3 of test-takers pass this test and become Enrolled Agents. (most CPA's would fail the test, lacking the necessary tax knowledge.)They are required to obtain at least 24 hours of continuing education credits to maintain their status, yearly. They must complete 72 hours during a 3 year cycle. What is an Enrolled Agent?

  • The exam is difficult and covers more topics than the state's exam, says a tax school owner. It tests individual and business tax knowledge and rules about representing clients before the IRS. There is a pretty high failure rate. (I passed my first time!)
  • Does this mean I read every page of the current Federal Tax Code? OMG No!. But I have read the pages that apply to most of my clients and I have gone over every word of the laws that people tend to violate the most often.

I am a member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA)

I adhere to their stringent Code of Ethics and Rules of Professional Conduct. My licenses are invaluable to me and I would never put them in jeopardy.

As my client, you benefit from my commitment to the Code of Ethics and Rules of Professional Conduct. We can still find creative ways to meet your important objectives and make sure both of us are acting lawfully.

I am an Oregon Licensed Tax Consultant
License # 33337-C.

Only 4 states, New York, California, Maryland and Oregon, have testing requirements for tax preparers. Oregon is the only state that requires licensing and its qualification process is by far the most stringent.

The other 46 states have NO rules for independent tax preparers. practically anyone can prepare your federal tax return and charge a fee. They are not necessarily required to meet any competency requirements or hold any type of license or certification as a tax professional. Whoa!

That means that consumers have no way of knowing how much of the current Federal Tax Code 74,608 pages (totaling over 10 million words) their local tax preparer knows. Double whoa!

Oregon requires a 2-step process to license their tax practitioners:

1-You have to pass the Oregon Licensed Tax Preparer requirements:

  • have a high school degree
  • complete 80 hours of classes and pass a 5-hour exam on Oregon and federal tax law.
  • Apprenticeship-- They can't work alone in an office their first year and can only provide tax advice or prepare returns while supervised by a licensed tax consultant, attorney or CPA.

2-You have to pass the Oregon Licensed Tax Consultant requirements:

  • Preparers can sit for this test once they've worked 1000 hours over two tax seasons under a LTC.
  • “The test is much more difficult than the one for preparers, and it remains closed book. "The level of clarity that must be understood is much higher," said Gutierrez, who's also an LTC. "The specificity of the questions is so much more precise." The pass rate, as a result: 30 percent.